EDEP (Eating Disorder Education and Prevention) is a student group that promotes healthy living by reaching out to UNL students, family, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members. Our promotions include posters, booths in the Union, bimonthly meetings, local presentations and special events throughout the year.
Contact Kimberly Barrett at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-472-9480 with questions.
Visit Us On Facebook! or Check Out the Photo Gallery Below!
- Please keep checking back for the up-to-date schedule
EDEP Meetings and Events
Notes: + = All meetings will be held at 6:30 in the Nebraska Union on UNL City Campus (room to be posted).
- January 18, 2012 at 6:30 p.m.+
- February 1, 2012 at 6:30 p.m+
- February 15, 2012 at 6:30 p.m+
- February 26, 2012 - March 3, 2012: Perfectly Imperfect: Redefining Beauty (Eating Disorder Awareness Week)
- March 7, 2012 at 6:30 p.m+
- April 4, 2012 (Meeting and Officer Nominations)
- April 18, 2012 (Meeting and Officer Elections)
- May 2, 2012 (Spring Social TBA)
Monday February 27th
- Information Booth 10:00am.-2:00pm., Nebraska Union
- America the Beautiful viewing, 7pm., Nebraska Union
America the Beautiful is an award-winning documentary about the current definitions and implications of "beauty" in American society. In this eye-opening film, a specific emphasis is placed on the role of media, marketing, fashion, and body alterations. For more information or to view the film's trailer, please visit http://americathebeautifuldoc.com/original/
Tuesday February 28th
- Bigger, Stronger, Faster viewing, 7pm., Nebraska Union
America sees itself as the biggest, strongest, fastest country in the world and this documentary explores how that translates into the way we enhance our bodies and choose our heroes. The three brothers in this film discuss their experience with the steroid-subculture in an effort to emulate their idols who excelled in their sports with performance enhancers. For more information about this award-winning documentary, please view reviews and trailers at http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/05/30/movies/30bigg.html and http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3705930009/.
Wednesday February 29th
- Husker Athletic Panel, 7pm. Nebraska Union
Back by popular demand, EDEP will host a forum to discuss the realities of body image and pressures in collegiate athletics. A number of Husker athletes from various sports teams will be present to talk about their experiences and answer audience questions.
Thursday March 1st
- Mindful Eating*, 2:00pm., Nebraska Union
- Normal Eating*, 6:30pm., Nebraska Union
- Candlelight Vigil, 7:00pm., Lauritzen Gardens, Omaha
To commemorate those who have lost the fight against an eating disorder and to spread awareness of the resources available for those suffering in silence. This event is sponsored by OMNI Behavioral Health.
Friday March 2nd
- How to Help a Friend*, 1:00pm., East Campus Union
* An educational presentation brought to you by members of SHINE (Students Helping Individuals Nurture Esteem)
- President - Jamie Mullen
- Vice President - Nicole Greenwalt
- Secretary - Amanda McDonald
- Treasurer/Fundraising - Kailey Parr
- Marketing/Recruitment - Jason Haddix
- Media Awareness - Frieda Pan
- Room With a View - Ashley Harrison
- Historian - Tess Patterson
- Faculty Sponsor - Karen Miller
- Partnerships: SHINE (Students Helping Individuals Nurture Esteem); GPPA (Greeks Promoting Positive Attitudes)