Campus Recreation employs 650+ UNL Students each year
We've moved our job listings to Handshake. Our current job listings are listed below.Log Into Handshake to Apply
Notice of Nondiscrimination
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work and learning environment free from discrimination and harassment. UNL is dedicated to creating an environment where everyone feels valued, respected and included. UNL does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities and employment. UNL complies with all local, state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination, including Title IX, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex.
Student & On-Call Positions at Campus Recreation:
Only positions that are listed above are currently hiring.
- Member Services
- Intramural Sports Official
- Outdoor Adventures*
- Strength Training Attendant*
- Personal Trainer*
- Group Fitness Instructor
- Lifeguards + Swim Instructor
- Student Custodian
- Sports Turf Management
- Maintenance Staff
- Graduate Assistants
- Summer Camp Counselors
Member Services Staff
Member Services Staff will be knowledgeable of and functional in four areas: welcome center, program registration, equipment checkout, and membership registration. In all areas, they will be the customer service and information agents of Campus Recreation, promoting Campus Recreation programs and services
Intramural Sports Official
Sport officials play a vital role in the daily operations of the Intramural Sports Program. These individuals are directly responsible for the safety of participants and the integrity of the activities offered by the Intramural Sports program. Sports officials are responsible for obtaining advanced knowledge of the rules of the sports they officiate, as well as the mechanics necessary to officiate contests. Successful officials will develop the ability communicate effectively, manage conflict, solve problems, work in a team, and think critically to make decisions.
Enjoy seeing others step up to their own challenge and want to help people connect to a larger community? We are seeking people who are ready to commit in a big way to make big impacts for others.
Climbing Wall Staff and InstructorsStaff are responsible to managing risk in a space chock-full with inherent risks. Help others feel comfortable and empowered to take on a challenge.
Equipment RentalStaff help fellow students and community members discover the adventure near Lincoln and far.
Adventure Trip Leader Training ProgramStaff hired as part of this hiring cohort will be eligible to apply to enter a 2 year adventure leadership internship program. Learn the technical skills to lead backpacking, paddling, biking or rock climbing, but also gain focused experience in decision making, motivating peers, and achieving goals situated in real life situations bearing real life consequences.
Challenge Course InstructorBe able to tell future employers that you have helped individuals grow and developed teams with team based skills on the challenge course. Just don’t say you worked in a team, you build teams. Challenge Course instructors learn the technical aspects of course operations as well as human skills to facilitate group within individuals and groups.
Bike Shop StaffStaff work with and educate customers about what they can do to care for their bikes as well as perform maintenance jobs to keep bikes in the community rolling to school, work, and for recreation.
Strength Training & Conditioning Attendant*
Strength Training & Conditioning Attendants’ main responsibility is to supervise the weight room. This means developing an understanding of how all of our equipment functions, advising patrons on correct form and spotting techniques, maintaining the cleanliness and function of our facility, engaging in proper emergency procedures when necessary, and (most importantly) enjoying those that you work with.
Personal Trainers are an integral part of fitness and wellness. Personal Trainers are expected to help their clients not only understand HOW to exercise but to motivate and encourage them to do so. Our Personal Trainers’ expertise ranges from weight loss to speed development. As a trainer, you will get the unique experience of training a wide variety of clients that will help you develop your own expertise in the future. (Certification through ACSM, ACE, NSCA, or NASM required)
Group Fitness Instructor
Responsible for providing a fun, empowering, safe workout for class participants. In addition to teaching weekly classes within Campus Recreation, there are opportunities to teach outreach classes to university housing, Greek life, campus groups and athletic teams. Other job responsibilities include maintaining group fitness spaces and equipment and providing customer service to participants. All group fitness instructors must maintain a group fitness and CPR/FA certification.
The primary responsibility of a Lifeguard is for the safety of any person using Campus Recreation Aquatic Facilities. Responsibilities include supervising recreational swimmers through proper scanning and consistent rule enforcement, preventing accidents and injuries, and providing emergency intervention.
Swim instructors are responsible for teaching adult and youth swimming lessons in the Learn-to-Swim program. This can include group, private and semi-private lessons.
Do you love to clean? Help keep our facilities in tip-top shape as a Student Custodian. Duties include cleaning - freshening common areas, restrooms and locker rooms. Pay starts at $9.50 per hour, must be available Saturdays.
Sports Turf Management
Student employees in the Sports Turf Management area have the opportunity to work outside, providing maintenance and care for facilities on both city and east campus. Job duties may include but not limited to: mowing, trash pickup, landscape work, snow removal, field painting and many more outside tasks. Hours vary depending on class schedule and academic priorities. You are not allowed to study while working for the sports turf area. Positions begin at $9.50/hr.
- A person with mechanical ability to help with preventive maintenance on fitness equipment
- Work on maintenance items around building to include changing lights, replacing batteries, painting, etc.
- Help with set-ups and tear down for events Campus Rec hosts
- Is willing to work a couple days a week between the hours of 4–11 p.m. and have the flexibility to work special events that are not during their work schedule.
Start Date: August 1, 2018
Full-tuition waiver up to 12 credits/semester (student pays fees)
Monthly stipend (minimum $1500/month)
Health insurance options
Professional development support
A minimum of 20 hours per week with occasional night and weekend hours is required.
Applicant must be officially accepted into a graduate program at the University of Nebraska prior to May 1, 2018 in order to remain eligible. A criminal history background check is required prior to employment confirmation.
Each degree program has their own admission requirements. Please check the specific department for the individual degree requirements. It is recommended applicants take their GRE/GMAT as early as possible when required for entrance into a degree program.
Group Fitness Graduate Assistant
The Group Fitness Graduate Assistant will work cooperatively with the staff at Campus Recreation in all phases of programming and administration for Group Fitness. Including but not limited to: supervision of part-time staff, teaching group fitness classes, incentive programming, program promotion, and outreach for the University and Lincoln communities, risk management, payroll and budget. Some early morning, evening and weekend hours will be required.
- Teach group fitness and mind/body classes.
- Instruct the ACE Group Fitness Instructor Prep class.
- Update and develop incentive programs.
- Work in cooperation with Fitness & Wellness professional staff in updating, developing and enforcing policies and risk management materials.
- Assist with the supervision, training, evaluation and payroll of program assistant and student staff.
- Conduct staff meetings. Update and develop staff manuals and policies. Ensure all instructors have proper certification and maintain and achieve appropriate levels of certification.
- Position will work cooperatively with Group Fitness Coordinator and Assistant Director for Fitness in the recruitment, hiring, training, scheduling and evaluation of fitness staff.
- Participate on Campus Recreation or campus committees; special promotions and events; fitness recruitment; teaching CPR and risk management; presentations to academic classes, Greek houses, residence halls, and other University affiliated or Lincoln community groups.
- Assist in administrative duties as needed to carry out position.
- Bachelor’s Degree or currently completing a Bachelor’s degree in exercise physiology, sports fitness, exercise science, kinesiology, physical education, recreation, health education or a related field.
- Exceptional organizational abilities and effective communication skills.
- Group Fitness certified through ACSM, ACE or AFAA or equivalent preferred.
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification and Instructor Certification or obtain upon employment.
Application Procedure:Send a cover letter, resume and 2 letters of reference to: Sarah Lewis, 1717 N. 35th St. Lincoln, NE, 68583-0841 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Priority deadline is Friday, March 9th. Position will remain available until filled.
Summer Camp Counselor
Responsible for providing a fun, safe environment for children ages 2nd-8th grades. Position start date is the end of May and continues throughout the summer.
- Conveniently located on campus
- Play games with 2nd to 8th graders each day
- Work M-F; No weekends or evenings!
- Staff does not work the week of July 4th
- Flexible with your class schedule
Apply by February 15 @ Handshake.
Contact Brian Stelzer 402-472-8869 or email@example.com for questions.
* Position requires a cover letter and resume.